Library Orientation for Teachers
When do students borrow?
1. 7:30-7:45 a.m.
2. After school with a parent
3. During their class's scheduled borrowing time--every other week.
Learning in the Library
The library schedule is fixed/flexible to accommodate borrowing, mini-lessons & research based on Hale Kula's Interdisciplinary Units.
Teachers & their students visit the library every other week for borrowing and a mini-lesson.
Teachers can also sign up for flexible time for research, small group instruction, use of the library computers and more.
Taking care of books
Requirements for student Borrowing...
1. Return all books by 8:30 am
2. Students need bar coded name tag
3. Wash hands!
4. Prep students for borrowing suggestions--genre, author, topics studied in class.
1. Students must use a shelf marker when making their book choices.
2. Students are taught to check for damage prior to borrowing the book. They look for torn pages, scribble scrabble, water damage, dirty finger prints.... Students who return books with these damages will be charged a fine.
3. Students must have their lunch tag (photo ID with bar code) to borrow.
Research in the library...
Flexible blocks in the library schedule are available for research on grade level Interdisciplinary Units, Literature Appreciation/Genre, and other content area projects. Teachers must plan with the librarian at least 48 hours in advance to discuss the lesson's purpose, benchmarks, resources and logistics.
Nene in the classroom...
Click here to learn how one of our 4th grade teachers made time for Nene Books in her classroom.